Saturday, December 1, 2012

"At least you tried."



“Before you QUIT… TRY.” – Dalle S.

Since the first semester I’ve been dreaming to go for an exchange under AIESEC. I have to admit that this is one of the reasons why I joined the organization, basically to experience the program they are offering which I see would benefit me as a whole.

 Right now, they are advertising the GCDP and GIP with the slogan, “I want to GET LOST and Find Myself!” This really triggered once more my desire to go for an exchange this summer but the problem is I need to take my OJT within those months that the program covers.

I told my mom about it but then she discouraged me since we’re not sure if it would greatly affect my school curriculum. So, I asked the faculty secretary of our faculty, I was hoping that he could enlighten me but then I got an answer that I need to ask our department head instead. Plus, he didn't directly discourage me but then it boiled down to that point. There was even another professor listening to our conversation and said, “Mag-aral ka na lang muna iha.” I shyly smiled to them and when asked why and where I want to go for the exchange program, I said, “I want self-fulfilment. And if ever, I want to go to a Spanish speaking country so that I could apply what I learned in my Spanish class this year, they are actually offering Colombia,” they laughed after hearing my explanation.

After, I had to ask the opinion of my Spanish professor since I’m planning to apply what I learned to his subject. He listened to what I have to say but then it’s the same, he indirectly discouraged me and just recommended a friend in law school (who I personally know as well) who can help me instead if I want to do volunteer work. Then he suggested that I should think more about this issue and consider my parents but what made me smile about our conversation was the fact that he offered me an intensive Spanish class with him if ever I continue with my plan! And here goes my segurista attitude; I asked if I need to pay him if ever, he just smiled and say “No, No” (with his Spanish accent. Haha). I just hope that I didn't offend him though. 

Lastly, I seek for my college friends’ opinion. One friend said that I should think first about graduating on time rather than going for the exchange since it matters if a "person graduates on time" (yes, it matters most especially to my dad!). Another said that as long as my parents are okay with it, then it would be fine. Then the third one just listened to what I need to say but at the same shared an internship opportunity she had to turn down as well.

At the end of this day, everyone is against me. YES, no one wants me to go to this internship because I need to prioritize my studies first. And i understand their opinions. But still, I would stand firm in trying. I would ask the department head on Monday, if there is a chance that I could go to Colombia (Yes, this is where I want to go now! Haha) and when I return get a GOOD OJT.

 I want to push myself harder, I don’t want to feel that I slip on a chance of catching a dream that I’ve wanted since the first semester of this school year. I want to see myself getting lost in a place that I don’t know but at the end find myself in the same place with much bliss and fulfillment.

People might not understand why I’m pushing this dream which in fact could be achieved after I graduate but then deep within me I know that if there’s a chance, I would surely grab it and want to make the most out of it! I know that I would get self-fulfillment that I could not get if I just stay in my comfort zone and if I do it after graduation day. GCDP and GIP for me offers a different experience and perspective in life. For now GCDP is what I want! This is what my heart desires to do.

Whatever happens on Monday, I would not have any regrets about it and would wholeheartedly accept what God wants for me. If its is a YES, well then it's a YES YES YES! But if ever it is a NO, at least, at the end of that day, i could tap my shoulders and would proudly say, "At least, you tried." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment